When preparing for HITRUST certification, organizations rely on HITRUST external assessors for compliance assessments and vulnerability remediation guidance. It is critical that you find a HITRUST certification partner that helps meet your compliance and security needs. Read our guide to learn how and where to find HITRUST external assessors.
Considerations for Finding HITRUST External Assessors
By helping organizations assess their compliance with the HITRUST CSF framework, HITRUST external assessors are essential to gaining HITRUST certification.
To help guide the search for HITRUST external assessors, this guide will cover:
- The role of HITRUST external assessors in compliance assessments
- HITRUST CSF requirements for external assessors
- The essential qualities of HITRUST external assessors
Working with a certified HITRUST external assessor will help you evaluate compliance and ensure that your security posture meets HITRUST standards.
HITRUST External Assessors and HITRUST CSF Compliance
The HITRUST CSF is one of the most rigorous global cybersecurity frameworks, helping organizations within and adjacent to healthcare manage cybersecurity risks. As a robust and comprehensive regulatory compliance framework, HITRUST comprises hundreds to thousands of controls that strengthen data privacy and security.
Role of HITRUST External Assessors in Achieving HITRUST Compliance
Compliance with the HITRUST CSF framework requires organizations to implement the controls it stipulates to achieve effective cybersecurity risk management and data security. Following the implementation of CSF requirements, organizations can then evaluate their compliance via HITRUST assessments, with the guidance of HITRUST external assessors.
Most importantly, HITRUST external assessors are essential to ensuring that HITRUST assessments align with the goals of the HITRUST Assurance Program, including:
- Standardization of security assessments across healthcare and adjacent industries
- Increased security assurance at significantly lower time and resource costs
- Robust risk management irrespective of industry or geographic location
HITRUST external assessors help ensure that HITRUST compliance assessments are reliable, accurate, and aligned with the HITRUST CSF’s objectives.
Request a Free Consultation
HITRUST’s Requirements for External Assessors
The HITRUST Alliance defines HITRUST external assessors as organizations authorized to provide assessments and related HITRUST CSF certification services on behalf of HITRUST.
To ensure that HITRUST compliance assessments align with the HITRUST CSF’s objectives, HITRUST requires all HITRUST external assessors to submit application letters indicating their interest in receiving HITRUST external assessor designation. These are then reviewed, along with the assessor organization’s credentials, as part of HITRUST’s stringent vetting process.
HITRUST External Assessor Applications
When applying for designation as HITRUST external assessors, organizations must submit application letters that meet the following requirements:
- The letters are submitted by an authorized member of the external assessor’s management.
- The letters demonstrate the external assessor’s commitment to supporting HITRUST members with any HITRUST CSF-related services.
Besides submitting an application letter for HITRUST external assessor designation, HITRUST external assessors must also submit the following with their application:
- Application forms that provide information regarding:
- Type and scope of services provided by the external assessor
- Years of service within the information security industry
- Resource allocation to data privacy and security
- Copies of policies and procedures that are currently implemented to ensure the integrity of compliance assessments
- Names and resumes of the individuals designated to serve as:
- Certified CSF Practitioners (CCSFPs), who are licensed and experience in using the HITRUST CSF
- Certified HITRUST Quality Professionals (CHQPs), who provide quality assurance for HITRUST assessments
Beyond submitting the above documents in their applications, HITRUST external assessors must also pay the fees required by the HITRUST to remain in good standing. Designation as a HITRUST external assessor is finalized upon the execution of the HITRUST External Assessor Agreement by both HITRUST and the external assessor.
Qualities of HITRUST External Assessors
When identifying HITRUST external assessors to meet your organization’s needs, it is critical to ensure that they are:
- Currently licensed and designated as a HITRUST external assessor
- Experienced in providing HITRUST assessments, especially when it comes to:
- Developing a roadmap for scoping HITRUST requirements
- Guiding your internal HITRUST preparedness for validated assessments
- Advising on gap remediation efforts following failed assessments
- Adequately staffed to address HITRUST assessments from start to finish
- Interested in understanding your HITRUST compliance goals
- Experienced in working with various types and sizes of organizations
Before choosing a HITRUST external assessor, browse the list of HITRUST-certified companies to find a partner that aligns with your HITRUST compliance goals and broader security needs.
Furthermore, the breadth of controls in the HITRUST compliance framework requires your HITRUST external assessor to advise on best practices and other considerations that will streamline compliance and help you achieve short or long-term HITRUST certification.
Streamline HITRUST CSF Assessments
Achieving and maintaining a high level of data security is essential to mitigating data breaches within and adjacent to healthcare. By working with quality HITRUST external assessors, you will be well-positioned to conduct reliable HITRUST assessments for all the data privacy and security controls you implement.
Contact RSI Security today to learn more about HITRUST assessments!