The demand for technical writers is increasing because of the expanding role of science and technology. A competent technical writing consultant can help your company gain a strategic advantage over your competitors by emphasizing your strengths. Therefore, it is essential to assess the long-term increase in productivity if your company secures a technical writing agency’s services.
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics has optimistic projections with a 10% growth for technical writers’ employment between 2014 to 2024. This vote of confidence means there is sustainability in securing a reputable technical writer’s services within your organization.
Technical writers are versatile and can translate complex communication into compelling content to convey specific technical information about a product. Instead of leaving it up to chance, a company should assess the cost efficiency of hiring a specialized technical writing agency.
Why You Require a Technical Writing Agency
● Lack of Documentation
An emerging start-up company may focus its initial resources on developing the features of its product or service. The documentation is mostly an afterthought for developers as they focus on improving their brand.
In the early phases of a company, a technical writer’s text is simplistic or straightforward. But as the company grows, offering more features and complexity, clients may begin to struggle with understanding how it works. Documentation will help in this regard to provide more information to the user base.
Organizations who think that developers can handle writing the documentation to save costs will soon discover that this is counterproductive. While creating and developing the product or service, developers tend to focus on the technical aspects and create documentation that is not user-friendly.
Documentation that is hard to understand will leave clients more confused. If the content also works as a user tutorial, it must be relatable to its readers. If there is a disconnect with the user base, it can have negative long-term ramifications.
● Expansion of Requirements
When a company experiences success, the next step is the expansion of operations. But it will be more challenging if the company still relies on one technical writer to handle the increase in tasks and projects. A bottleneck of documentation may ensue, delaying the overall productivity of the organization.
A technical writing agency will solve this situation by supplying a steady stream of dependable writers to create additional and varied documentation.
Suppose developers are already struggling to moonlight the content writing while their product is in the infancy stage; it will be more difficult for them to do so once the product or service gains more traction. With developers focusing on their creations when the workload increases, a technical writing team is essential for the organization.
Having a roster of technical writers is good news for user advocacy. They understand the needs and challenges of users when using their service or product. With the insights of user advocacy in place, the product’s documentation will continue to be of high quality.
When the projects increase, more tasks eventually line up for technical writers, including the following:
- Visual content
- Knowledge sharing
Instead of waiting for a bottleneck because there is too much on a technical writer’s plate, it is better to form a team. With the sum becoming greater than the parts, the productivity will receive a significant boost.
● Specialization of Tasks
A sound strategy to achieving world-class technical content, is to appoint technical writers to work on specialized assignments. A technical writing agency will be of significant help in assembling competent writers to achieve this complex delegation task.
Here are three specialized roles that technical workers typically handle:
- Strategy Specialist
These technical writers are adept at finding the best ways to identify their target demographic and reach them with effective communication ideas. They understand what users consider essential to their daily lives, making them a valuable bridge to products and services’ technical complexity. They know how to find the product or service’s advantages that will resound well to its intended audience.
- Subject Matter Expert
Building on the strategy specialist’s work, the Subject Matter Expert (SME) crafts articles that have a maximum impact on their target market’s tendencies and preferences. They know the product or service thoroughly, allowing them to think of ways to make their content relatable to ordinary people.
- Technical Editor
The technical editor ensures that the tonal quality of the article adheres to the organization’s brand guidelines. There is no room for error; they must be comprehensive in scanning their copy for mistakes in grammar, spelling, voice, and context. Whether the mistake is typographical or clerical, a misstep can severely affect the reputation of a company.
● Recruitment Difficulties
A technical writing agency will save an organization the stress, time, and difficulty of hiring the right blend of competent and reliable personnel. Organically growing an organization takes time. Thankfully, a technical writing agency has the expertise and experience to appoint the right set of people.
The hiring process is just the beginning. Once the technical writers are part of the fold, they must undergo training to hurdle the approval process.
When the writers have a training system’s stability in place, this will lead to more team productivity.
● Project Management
Even the best technical writers will take time to complete documentation, no matter how efficient they are. For this reason, project management is vital to ensure that technical writers do not miss essential schedule milestones and deadlines.
Freelance technical writers have numerous clients, and it can be challenging to secure their services when an organization requires a steady stream of content. A specialized writing agency can assure client organizations that the documents will be delivered on time.
A technical writing agency uses project management tools to stay in touch with a technical writer’s progress. It also has communication platforms to discuss inputs and revisions, thereby guiding the writer and ensuring quality outputs.
The Writing Process
A technical writing agency knows the best way to produce excellent documentation by following tried and tested protocols and guidelines. Cost efficiency and prompt completions are the hallmarks of this process:
1. Project Planning
To create documentation that can effectively communicate with its target market, a technical writer must comprehensively plan the project’s specific details. There must be clear communication between the specialized writing agency and the client organization about the following aspects:
- Type of Document. The company must be clear about what documentation it requires to let the technical writer draft it the best way possible.
- Subject and Content. The project’s topic is essential to establish the initial research baseline and ensure that no crucial information will be missing from the documentation.
- Mission and Vision. The documentation must align with the organization’s business goals and not stray from its purpose.
- Scope and Limitations. The documentation’s extent will define its length and the complexity required to draft relatable and user-friendly documentation.
- Target Audience. The readers are the sole reason why documentations exist. There should be no confusion about the target market’s qualities and specifications to craft helpful documentation.
2. Audience Analysis
Out of all the factors listed above, the most crucial is the target audience. The technical writing agency can effectively guide the technical writer to convey vital information to the readers. The perspective of the text must revolve around the context of its audience.
Understanding the user entails research. It is essential to know as much about them as possible. Audience analysis requires critical thinking about the following aspects of the user base:
- Needs and expectations. Readers will access the documentation for specific purposes. As a technical writer, it is essential to understand what they require. Typically, readers reach out for the documentation to learn more about the product or service. The documentation must provide complex information in a user-friendly way.
- Expertise about the subject. The technical writer must also research the average knowledge of its typical readers. If the product or service is for beginners or novices, there needs to be more careful preparation in explaining complex topics. However, suppose the offering is for an advanced target market. In that case, the technical writer can assume that users who access the documentation have sufficient base knowledge about the brand.
- Potential questions. Frequently asked questions (FAQ) appear a popular format for writing instructional materials because they anticipate the questions that typically confuse users. The technical writer must have the foresight gift to generate potential areas about the topic that will invite problems.
- Market demographics. When companies locate their target market, they do so by researching a specific set of factors that define their clients’ range. By understanding their background and motivations, the technical writer can create a document that will reflect their segment.
Technical writers must always ensure that the documentation is accessible, relatable, and user-friendly. If it cannot communicate properly with its target audience, it will not serve its purpose, and it will fail to create an impact. Communication is vital to establish a more meaningful sense of community with the client base of an organization.
Expert Guidance for Technical Writing from RSI Security
Leave technical writing to the experts. RSI Security has a team of experienced technical writers to help with your documentation needs. But unlike any other technical writing agency, we have deep expertise in all aspects of cybersecurity defense, compliance, and certifications related to your products and services.
To streamline your internal cybersecurity documentation needs, we will work with your organization to determine what type of technical writing you require to create precise documentation for it.
Our technical writing team has years of experience with proofreading, research, and writing to support a wide array of cybersecurity initiatives. We will establish communication with your business leaders, subject matter experts, and IT professionals to ask the right questions to give your company precisely what it needs.
RSI Security will ensure that your organization is on the same page with the correct documentation, whether it involves training materials, operating manuals, or a breach response plan. Communication is vital to produce the best technical writing service for your needs.
Technical Documentation Services
- Quality Assurance
RSI Security can provide world-class business documentations with a quality assurance process that guides our technical writers:
- Planning. Careful assessment of the organization’s needs will help us create a plan to improve the documentation quality to the next level.
- Auditing. As a technical writing agency, we can assess the documentation’s current performance and fill any gaps if there are deficiencies throughout the writing.
- Analysis. We will provide productive inputs to forge a clear path of success for the results of the documentation.
- Improvement. Revisions are vital to give the best possible output for the documentation. It will ensure the final product reflects the goals of the project.
RSI Security is a leading cybersecurity service provider that lends its experience and expertise to professional technical writing projects. We are adept at creating accurate documentation for regulatory and compliance purposes with speed, accuracy, and diligence.
Our technical editing services ensure that existing documents are correct, unambiguous, concise, and compelling. RSI Security can process complex topics to seamlessly communicate within your company and third-party vendors, regulators, or service providers.